"I'm not retiring, there's going to be Cristina for a while"
Just like promised, she did not cry. Surrounded by family, friends and producers, Cristina Saralegui said goodbye after 21 years on the air with her namesake Univision show.
Mexican actor Fernando Colunga was the special host for this last program, where even the guests and audience members were unknown to Cristina until the very last minute.
The Cuban-American "Spanish Oprah" said several times that "I'm not retiring" and "there's going to be Cristina for a while." Fellow TV personalityDon Francisco, who gave Cristina her very first break on TV, stressed the contributions she has brought to Spanis language television in the United States.
"You went far and beyond what I imagined, you were able to break molds, to break out a type of show that did not exist in Spanish language television" said the vet TV host.
Univision newscasters Jorge Ramos and María Elena Salinas also had kind words for Cristina and thanked her for her friendship and support. "You're one of those wise souls who doesn't judge, and that's why people trust you and share things with you...when no one wanted to talk about homosexuality, you were doing it, when no one wanted to talk about undocumented immigrants or injustices, your show was the forum to say things" said Jorge Ramos via a recorded video, since he was not able to attend the taping of the show.
"I know this is not a 'goodbye' but a 'see you soon,' and just like you say 'pa' alante' [moving forward]" added María Elena Salinas. Mexican actor Jorge Salinas also thanked Cristina for supporting his career and hugged her emotionally saying "Thank you for everything you've done in my life."
Cristina's daughter Titi Menéndez, who is pregnant, said crying 'We can feel the love here." Cristina ended by saying "I'm not retiring, there's going to be Cristina for a while."
WATCH A VIDEO OF THE FINAL SHOW
>>SOME OF THE BEST MOMENTS OF 'EL SHOW DE CRISTINA'
Sopa de Notas
Celestrellas y tu opinión
Add your comments
- Víctor Manuelle: "Yo dejo de trabajar y mis hijos no comen"
- Exnovio de Christian Chávez: “La noche del arresto, Christian no estaba en sus cabales”
- Shakira sí regresará a The Voice, dice NBC, y también lo hará Christina Aguilera
- EXCLUSIVE: Prince Royce - “All The Girls Tell Me I Do Well With the Kisses”
- The 6 Things We've Learned From Latina Celeb Authors
- Our 7 Favorite Hollywood BFFs!
- ¿Qué harán finalistas de NBL con el premio?
- Eiza González se muda a Estados Unidos
- Juan Luis Guerra aconseja a las parejas