Shakira breaks ground on Colombian school through her 'Bare Feet' Foundation
Smiling and holding many of the young students' hands, the singer expressed her joy in helping support and contribute toward a small grain of sand in the hopes of furthering the students' education and "break the chains of poverty and combat violence."
During the event, in which Maria Emma Mejia, the president of the Pies Descalzos (Bare Feet) Foundation and former foreign minister and Secretary General of the Union of South American Nations, and Philanthropist Howard Buffet were also present, Shakira referred to the place where the school is to be constructed as "a high-risk area where many leaders had thrown in the towel."
The Notimex news agency said that the construction of the mega-school, which would be the sixth school built with the help of the singer's foundation, would require an investment of more than $5 million dollars and will be in an area that is approximately 2 acres, known as Loma de Peyé.
Pies Descalzos is a nonprofit, nongovernmental foundation established in 1997 by Shakira to help underprivileged children throughout Colombia receive an education. Support for the foundation comes through donations by the pop singer, as well as Colombian and international companies. The foundation bares the namesake of the pop singer's breakout debut album, which was released worldwide in 1996. More recently, Pies Descalzos announced a school initiative in quake- and poverty-ravaged Haiti.
Sopa de Notas
Celestrellas y tu opinión
Add your comments
- Exnovio de Christian Chávez: “La noche del arresto, Christian no estaba en sus cabales”
- Shakira sí regresará a The Voice, dice NBC, y también lo hará Christina Aguilera
- Colate sobre relación con Alegría Beracasa: No pensaba que iba a ocurrir, pero estoy muy contento
- The 6 Things We've Learned From Latina Celeb Authors
- Our 7 Favorite Hollywood BFFs!
- The Rumors Are True: Beyonce is Pregnant with Baby #2!
- ¿Qué harán finalistas de NBL con el premio?
- Eiza González se muda a Estados Unidos
- Juan Luis Guerra aconseja a las parejas