Venezuela crowned Miss World 2011
The final showdown for Miss World 2011, in which 120 aspiring beauties compete for the title held by American Alexandria Mills, took place Sunday in London.
Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Philippines, South Korea, South Africa, Scotland and England, were among the seven finalists, from which a top three was selected: the Philippines, Venezuela and Puerto Rico.
So after hearing the names of Gwendoline Ruais of the Philippines and Amanda Perez of Puerto Rico, as second and third place respectively, we learned the name of the new sovereign: 21-year-old Lunasol Ivian Sarcos Colmenares, a Venezuelan with a degree in Human Resources.
Among the noted details highlighted by the press was Ivian's response to one jury question, saying "the next Miss World should be a sensitive woman, responsible and committed to the organization, whose goal here is to work for people who need us. Beauty with a heart. "
Ivian's triumph marks the sixth time Venezuela has won the Miss World crown. Other Venezuelans who came before her include, Carmen Susana Duijim Zubillaga (1955), Carmen (1955), Carmen Josefina Leon Crespo 'Pilín León' (1981), Astrid Carolina Herrera Irrazábal (1984), Ninibeth Beatriz Leal Jiménez (1991) and Jacqueline María Aguilera Marcano (1995).
Perhaps the most enduring image of the Miss World pageant was 40 years ago in London, in which angry feminists stormed the venue and celebrity guests were pelted with eggs and rotten tomatoes. Forty years ahead, the protest was more muted, as Venezuela's Sarcos Colmenares, an aspiring social activist, was crowned Miss World. A group of women gathered outside Earl's Court in West London to protest against the "objectification" of the female body. They raised slogans and waved banners, one of which read: "We're not ugly, We're not beautiful, We're angry.'' Another said: "Miss World is the jewel in the crown of rape culture.''
Here's a Spanish video of the crowning moment:
Sopa de Notas
Celestrellas y tu opinión
Add your comments
- Víctor Manuelle: "Yo dejo de trabajar y mis hijos no comen"
- Exnovio de Christian Chávez: “La noche del arresto, Christian no estaba en sus cabales”
- Shakira sí regresará a The Voice, dice NBC, y también lo hará Christina Aguilera
- EXCLUSIVE: Prince Royce - “All The Girls Tell Me I Do Well With the Kisses”
- The 6 Things We've Learned From Latina Celeb Authors
- Our 7 Favorite Hollywood BFFs!
- ¿Qué harán finalistas de NBL con el premio?
- Eiza González se muda a Estados Unidos
- Juan Luis Guerra aconseja a las parejas