May 30th 5:20 PM: The greatest compliment one character actor can pay another is to say that he or she is believable. Thus I can say with deepest sincerity that Dennis was always believable, in fact, he was so thoroughly identified with his character that you could not believe he was other than the character he portrayed. That is great acting, and by that highest of all standards, Dennis was truly a great actor though rarely accorded as such because everyone assumed that he was just being himself before the camera. Few other greats have suffered the same fate because few others have been so enormously talented as character actors.
Dennis has only left his diseased body, not ceased to exist. I have no idea whether he ratified his passport to heaven (Luke 9:23f) before his departure. We can only hope so.
There are unconventional cures for prostate and many other forms of cancer available to us now--Dr. Tulio Simoncini famously having one of them. So, there is actually no reason for Dennis to have perished from that easily and quickly curable disease. He was younger than I am and should still be with us in robust health. He had many more great roles yet to do that will now be left undone, and we are all the poorer for it.
Apr 19th 9:48 PM: Thinking of Pat makes me sad. I hope he did not waste his life. But, of course, such strong patriotism and amazing courage will always be an inspiration to future generations regardless of what eventually happens in the middle east.
We could greatly use him now writing and speaking for the manly cause of constitutional government and Austrian economics. Beyond the shadow of a doubt, that would have been the best use of his talents and courage. Too late now, though, to make that far better choice. We admire you, Pat, and hope to see you in heaven.
Apr 19th 7:14 PM: The Quaids should just go to an island paradise and live there without the pressure they are trying to escape. That would beat the fines and jail time they can expect if they stay in the US.
Apr 1st 3:12 PM: If they continue using their native language of odoriferous sewer dwellers ("sewer rats"), even the most intellectually bovine of us will be awakened to what sewer slime Biden and Obama really are away from the cameras. Many of the less discerning among us fell for the con game B&O designed for "useful idiots" before the election, but soon even those fools will have become entirely disillusioned and be ready for REAL change, change for good rather than for evil. Of course, some love darkness more than light, and there is no hope for them either here or in the hereafter.
Mar 28th 10:32 AM: As a former public and private school teacher in north Texas, I should point out that the amount of money spent on education does not determine the quality of education children receive at any particular school. Private and home school education has long been determined by testing to be superior to that of public schools and at a fraction of the cost.
Therefore, the obvious solution to the education problem is to eliminate public schools entirely and, if and where necessary, subsidize private schools--without allowing any paralyzing government control whatsoever--to provide the very best private schools for everyone in their own neighborhoods.
Of course, newly unemployed government bureaucrats in education and members of the teachers union would predictably have a conniption fit, but having to get an honest job flipping burgers for a change would be good for their tiny little shriveled souls and wonderful for the children they have long been abusing by their incompetence.
Mar 21st 1:05 PM: Since the health care reform bill comes up for a vote in the House of Representatives about now, it seems appropriate to mention a few details that I found on the Internet.
1. Page 22 of H.R. 3200 mandates that the federal government will audit the books of all employers that self insure.
2. Page 30, Sec 123 of H.R. 3200 states that a federal government committee will decide what treatments/benefits will be given in place of the patient or provider.
3. Page 354, Sec 1177 of H.R. 3200 states that the federal government will restrict the enrollment of special needs patients.
4. Page 42 of H.R. 3200 states that the Health Choices Commissioner will choose individual health care benefits instead of individuals or their providers.
5. Page 50, Section 152, of H.R. 3200 states that health care will be provided to all non-US citizens, illegal or otherwise.
6. Page 58, of H.R. 3200 states that the federal government will have real-time access to individuals' finances and that a National ID health care card will be issued.
7. Page 59 of H.R. 3200, lines 21-24 state that the federal government will have access to individual bank accounts for electronic funds transfer, and
seizure of individual funds.
8. Page 72, lines 8-14 of H.R. 3200 state that the federal government is creating a health care exchange to bring all private health care plans under
federal government control.
9. Page 84 of H.R. 3200, Sec 203 states that federal government mandates all benefit packages for private health care plans in the Exchange.
10. Page 95 of H.R. 3200, lines 8-18 states that the federal government will use groups i.e., ACORN and Americorps, to sign up individuals for federal government health care plan.
11. Page 124 of H.R. 3200, lines 24-25 state that no company can sue federal government on price fixing. There will be no "judicial review" against a federal government monopoly.
12. Page 127 of H.R. 3200, lines 1-16 state that the federal government will determine physician salary regardless of training and experience.
13. Page 145 of H.R. 3200, lines 15-17 state that all Employers must auto enroll employees into public option plan.
14. Page 126 of H.R. 3200, lines 22-25 state that employers must pay for health care for part time employees and their families.
15. Page 149 of H.R. 3200, lines 16-24 state that any Employer with payroll 400k & above, who does not provide public option pays an 8% tax on all
16. Page 150 of H.R. 3200, lines 9-13 state that businesses with payroll between 25,000 and 400,000, who don't provide public option, must pay 2-6% tax on all payrolls.
17. Page 167 of H.R. 3200, lines 18-23 state that any individual who doesn't have acceptable health care according to the federal government will be taxed an additional 2.5% of income.
18. Page 195 of H.R. 3200 states that the officers and employees of the health care Admin will have access to all Americans' finances/personal records.
19. Page 203 of H.R. 3200, lines 14-15 state: "The tax imposed under this section shall not be treated as tax."
20. Page 239, H.R. 3200, lines 14-24 state that the federal government WILL REDUCE PHYSICIAN SERVICES for Medicaid Seniors, and low income people.
21. Page 241 of H.R. 3200, lines 6-8 state that regardless of training or experience, all physician salaries will be determined by the federal
22. Page 425 of H.R. 3200, lines 4-12 state federal government mandates Advance Care Planning Consultations for the elderly.
23. Page 425 of H.R. 3200, lines 17-19, state that the federal government will mandate and instruct living wills, durable powers of attorney.
24. Page 426 lines 1-3 state that the federal government will provide an approved list of end of life resources, guiding patients in death.
25. Page 427 of H.R. 3200, lines 15-24 state that the federal government program mandates orders for end of life. The federal government has a say in how patients' lives end.
26. Page 429 of H.R. 3200, lines 1-9 state that an "advance care planning consult" will be used frequently as patient’s health deteriorates.
27. Page 429 of H.R. 3200, lines 10-12 state that an "advance care consultation" may include an ORDER FOR END OF LIFE plans.
28. Page 429 of H.R. 3200, lines 13-25 state that the federal government will specify which Doctors can write an end of life order.
29. Page 430 of H.R. 3200, lines 11-15 state that the federal government, not physicians or their patients, will decide what level of treatment will be available at the end of life.
Not all of these elements may be in the final version, or course; however, an excellent question for your Senator the next time you see him would be, “Senator, will you support an amendment to this legislation requiring all senators and congressmen to enroll in the public option just like your constituents will be forced to do? Yes or no.”
Mar 19th 12:29 PM: Charlie was raised in a wealthy family who spoiled him rotten (as the saying goes). He never had to discipline himself or take responsibility for his actions. So, the legal system is now having to do what his parents should have done many years ago, and doing it in embarrassing living color for all to see. It must be extremely humiliating, and I hope it is not all for nothing. He has to grow up sometime and it might as well be now; in fact, it would be all for the best were it now.
It would also be best were "Two and a Half Men" to exit TV soon because of its extremely negative moral example in all things and for all people, young and old. I am a long time professional comedy actor, and I know without the slightest doubt that it is not necessary to be morally reprobate to be funny. In fact, the very best comedy such as the great Dick Van Dyke show of years ago is always clean. I often watch some very funny stand up comics on TV who work scrupulously clean to excellent effect--and they make a lot of money.
Mar 19th 12:40 AM: I totally agree with you. The liberal media is so deathly afraid of Sarah that they still can't break out of their viscous attack mode. I suppose we are just going to have to continue attacking Obanbi and his herd of worshipful animalistic thugs. As long as they attack her, we will attack him. When they stop attacking her, we will stop attacking him. Fair is fair.
Mar 16th 1:53 PM: I can't remember ever having played soccer; however, I have played a lot of tournament tennis and intercollegiate tennis and have been an excellent teaching pro. Years ago, whenever I found myself in an easy match, I always eased up a bit and allowed my opponent to learn more of the game by hitting with me rather than wasting his time and mine by my humiliating and discouraging him with a quick win. I would also encourage him to get some enjoyable healthy exercise running after my placements hither and yon all over the court. Thus we both enjoyed the match and were both benefited in various ways without wasting either player's time and effort.
I cannot imagine why a genuinely good soccer team could not do much the same thing when encountering a much weaker team. Instead of crushing the Haitians, those girls could probably have, in effect, conducted a teaching seminar on how to play soccer on a higher level while playing and winning their match at the same time. Were I their coach, that's exactly what I would have told them to do because it would have greatly benefited both teams rather than being the sickeningly negative experience it actually was.
The vast majority of sports coaches have yet to discover that there is no law saying athletes must of necessity be terminally stupid while playing their sports. Compassion, wisdom and good sportsmanship should not be banished from the playing of any sport for any reason. Some fools think we humans are descended from apes. When I hear the ludicrous twaddle some athletic coaches spout, I am tempted to conclude that such may be entirely true in their particular case and that they obviously have not descended very far from their lowly simian ancestors, to be absolutely sure.
Mar 16th 11:56 AM: I don't have cable, so I am only familiar with Mike's work selling cars on TV. However, I can say with assurance that he is by far the best car salesman I have ever seen in many years of watching car salesmen work. He is a wonderfully talented actor and should take over the roles formerly done by big men like the Arness brothers, Peter Graves (Mission Impossible), recently deceased, and James Arness (Gunsmoke), and other legends of times gone by. Ruggedly handsome, very strong, masculine men like Mike are seldom talented actors, so Mike is a rarity to say the least. Tom Selleck, Clint Eastwood and James Garner are the only ones like him in film work these days that I can recall at the moment. Mike has a much superior speaking voice, so that should make him a more subtle, creative and, therefore, versatile actor. As a former professional actor, myself, I have always enjoyed watching greatly talented strong men act in films. Our horrendously feminized society today is much in need of their sterling corrective example. May their tribe increase and prosper.